Nearly twenty years ago, Oak Hill had running water in several outlying barns--one of which is now the chicken house. Earlier today, I started a quest to get the water up and running again. After some diligent digging, I found the place where the water had been shut off. The pipe had been cut and both ends plugged. Easy enough! I would just hook the two ends back together again. A trip to the local Home Depot for fittings and hose clamps later, this turned out to be a lot of work for myself and my dad, who had come up to check my progress. Finally, the work was done and we turned on the valve. Yes! there is water in the chicken house! But, the water pressure is now decreased dramatically throughout the system. There is a leak somewhere, and with pipes running in many different places the only sure-fire way of finding it is to let it leak overnight and go hunting for the puddle in the morning.
Meanwhile, the garden us up and growing: onions, potatoes, peas, lettuce, and broccoli raab are first out of the gate. The spinach has germinated is starting to poke through the surface. The corn is in. By this weekend, we should be mostly planted. Now all we need is rain!